Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Those pinterest do it yourself mason jars





I'm sure you have seen these colored mason jars alllllll over your pinterest feed and all over the internet. I have been wanting to recreate this project for quite awhile. You can actually buy blue and emerald green Mason jars now, BUT they cost about $8-20 depending on size and quantity. I spent half of that amount doing multiple colors. The ones you buy are really great for flowers and drinking out of, because with the mod podge(glue) you can't put liquids in them and you can't wash them. Which is a downside, but the ones I'm making are more for decoration and candles.

Really the only three things you will need are Mod Podge (gloss), food coloring and some jars. You could use a paint brush *A GOOD ONE. Mine kept leaving little hairs behind in the glue. Very frustrating. The jars you get don't even have to be mason jars, which the next time I do this project they will be all kinds of different jars. Because I will be taking really awesome empty liquor bottles from work and doing another project for the back porch. (Cajun themed!)
I chose the larger podge container (which was less than $6) and I chose neon food coloring, which was 99cents.
I skipped the step of using a cup to mix the podge and food coloring, and I just mixed them right in the jar. Then I used my crappy paint brush, eventually giving up on that, and just used my hand to spread the glue. You can also roll the jar around but it makes it really thick in some spots and thin in others.

After that I turned them over to let excess glue run out. I left them like this overnight. Then you preheated the oven to 200 degrees and put them in opening down for about 5-8 minutes. 

*Use a cookie sheet and tin foil to set the glasses on. The tin foil is so the glue doesn't destroy your cookie sheets. 

Then flip them right side up for another 20-40 minutes depending on your paint job. I also recommend while switching the jars right side up that you also switch out the foil on your cookie sheet. 

The glue will bubble, that is from the heat basically. Leaving them in the oven longer will help those go away. I need to put mine back in the oven for a little longer to get rid of some of the rim bubbles, which was due to leaving them upside down too long in the oven. 

And here is the finished project! I did two of each color. I probably will only be using the purple and blue ones in my house though. This whole project was a practice test for when I do my milk bottles and crazy liquor bottles for the Cajun kitchen/back porch. I might do some more just to stick on top of our DIY mantel. 

Just some quick tips!
  • You can get cheap mason jars at a goodwill or thrift stores. Or you can buy them in bulk at your local grocery store's canning section!
  • I decided to make my jars really dark, but you can also make them pastel like this ladies! They brighten up a room and look really feminine and light.
  • Here's what I was talking about with different types of jars, and the look fantastic! Here. Try to spruce it up and make something completely unique.
  • Also, if things go a little hectic and they look a little funky (some of mine do!) It just adds to the jars. You created it, for cheaper and its HANDMADE! 

AND HERE IS SLEEPING BEAN IN A BASKET!



No comments:

Post a Comment