Monday, June 23, 2014

Garage sale scores and refurbishing!

I LOVE garage sales. I used to go all the time with my Mom and my Oma(grandmother auf deutsch(german)) It is literally the most fun ever. You can go out having one item in mind and go to a couple of sales and find it. You even find the craziest things to refurbish! Its super cool. I got 4 things at this insane sale!
We found this super awesome shelving unit for our HUGE balcony. $5 dolla make you holla!
My mom used to have SO many of these when I lived in Louisiana so I thought it would really compliment our Cajun back porch. We can also put our herb garden on it.

We also got this ikea shelving unit:
Which I think I might turn into a little bar, but I am not quite sure yet!I also found some Ikea LACK tables which are 2 for $3.

Can I just say that this garage sale was insanely amazing and that's how garage sales should be, they should be awesome and cheap! No baby clothes that your kid probably peed all over!



The first thing I decided to renovate was definitely the easiest, and that is the garden shelving. I decided to go with the same color my moms were. Which is a forest green. I got these at Michael's, one for about $7 and the other for $3.50 or something along those lines. ***Michael's craft store ALWAYS has 40% coupons on their website, so definitely take advantage of that! Although, it is only for one regular priced item. But It saved me like $4.


We decided to start from the bottom, then let that dry. Just because we were on dirt that would fly up whenever we sprayed the paint. I went over it once for major coverage and then back over just to get the small spots. Be careful when spray painting not to focus to much on one area, because it will create drip marks. Do quick bursts not drawn out lines, this will save you paint and you will get better coverage and no drips!

That is the old rusted grey (which I also really liked, but figured our back deck needed to be more spruced up)
Also, whenever we move and sell it, we can sell it for more than I bought it for. Which rocks!

**When garage sale hunting, things should not be expensive. The point of a garage sale is to get rid of things and shouldn't ever be to make a huge profit. Some people need to understand that garage sales should be 75% of the price you bought it for. Unless they are big ticket items, completely unopened things or really nice furniture. Also you can definitely bargain with people on prices too!



That is the final product, which will look fantastic on the back porch!! There is so much space there I don't know what to do with myself. Pictures will come next week when it will officially be added to the space!

As far as the ikea lack tables go, I now have four of them; two my own and two from the garage sale. I think they might make some pretty great ottomans, or maybe even a butchers block. We still have quite a few posts left, so those might be on here. Stay posted!

AND HERE IS A BONUS EVANGELINE PICTURE!!



No comments:

Post a Comment