Tuesday, July 8, 2014

How to make your own soaps... doctor who soaps!

I love Doctor Who, I love all things science fiction. I have a life size Tardis cut out in my living room. We can all assume I am a fan. For my birthday my boyfriend had bought me a doctor who ice tray, I immediately thought soap. I have always been interested in soap making, and basically anything crafty. I couldn't completely hand make the soaps, so I compromised.






I bought a clear soap starter and a lavender scent bottle. I decided to do lavender over cinnamon because that was too christmasy. For 2 pounds of soap starter it cost me $9.99 minus my 40% off michaels coupon. ;) and the scent was only $4.99 and i only used 10 drops, so there is still a lot left!


After opening the soap starter you need to cut it up into squares. After that you put the squares into a microwave safe bowl and heat it up for 30 seconds, and then again at 10 second intervals until the squares have completely melted.






After the soap has melted, you need to add your fragrance and colors in immediately. I decided to just go clear for experimentation reasons, and it actually turned out amazing.

You need to add the fragrance and color as soon as possible because the soap will start to harden again quite quickly.

The instructions say to leave the soap alone for about 45 minutes, when I took out a dalek,(doctor who villain) It was still a little goopy. We managed to put it back into the mold to harden more. So I would suggest leave them in for an hour or longer.

We also had some left over soap and decided to put it into two cups and added some flowers. Which turned out okay, but the soap was so hot that the flowers immediately wilted.


I wasn't sure about the bubbles, but I guess it was from water left from when we cleaned out the mold. you can scoop them out and pour slower to reduce bubbles in the soap.





The final product turned out SO MUCH better that I had originally thought it would. I am very happy with them and they will look so nice in the shower and on the bathroom counter.
Daleks attacking the Tardis! Doctor!

Non-photogenic beans.


1 comment: